Saturday, November 04, 2006

Some crazy circles and gems....
I made this today amid the chaos of what has become my home life lately... chasing my two year old around trying to get gemstones out of his mouth (no I did not use those in this piece!) and taking care of a sick 4 year old. Ahhh.... Life doesn't get any crazier than this! At least I remembered to turn off my torch before sprinting after my 2 year old! So, I guess that means that the plus side of today is that I didn't burn my house down! OH! And I made this necklace! I was hoping to create more today but am always amazed when I'm actually "allowed" to finish anything!
I have definitely found a greater appreciation for work at home moms (which is EVERY mom, whether they run a business or not) in the past 4 years.
I'm starting to feel like my jewelry is as random and chaotic as my life right now! I look at other jewelers/designers and they seem to have a particular cohesive style. I just have whatever comes out of my head at the moment. I sketch designs out but try not to think about them too much - action is the key to getting anything done when you're a mother! Thinking, dreaming, philosophizing, figuring out the little technical quirks before you start working doesn't seem to cut it anymore. My motto now is: Think it and do it FAST before the little guy tries to break into the room (and devour gemstones) while you're torching an intricate piece (that could melt into a puddle of disaster at any moment). And I used to be such a dreamer.... ahhhh.... those were the good ol' days. :)

1 comment:

FRIZZ said...

This is great...so original. How do you come up with this? Beautiful work!

I feel spoiled being child-free and all. I don't know how you fit it all in!